January 10, 2012

Answers (to questions you didn't even ask...)

Many (well, at least a few) people have asked questions about becoming a Peace Corps Volunteer (PCV). When? Where? What? Why? How long? So, I've decided to answer some of those questions here. This way you can refer back to the answer to that pressing question you have about my volunteerism whether it's the middle of the night or when you're watching TV or while enjoying a nice cup of tea, really, whenever you want.

Wait, the Peace Corps still exists? Are you trying to save the world?
I'm not going to go into this in much detail as a result of there being many websites about the Peace Corps. Visit www.peacecorps.gov for a plethora of information, videos, and interactive features.

However, I do want to share with you the three main goals of the Peace Corps to show that I am indeed not trying to save the world:

1. Helping the people of interested countries in meeting their need for trained men and women.
2. Helping promote a better understanding of Americans on the part of the peoples served.
3. Helping promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans.

When and why did you apply?
During 2010, I was an AmeriCorps member in South Lake Tahoe, CA working on conservation and environmental education projects. My experience with AmeriCorps was wonderful, but I knew that I wanted to go abroad to do environmental work and be immersed in a community, so I started my Peace Corps application. Summer in Tahoe got in the way (if you've ever been there during the summer you know why--beaches, mountains, lake, rocks, etc.), so I didn't finish my application until the fall. Over a year later, I'm seeing the realization of that dream.

How do you become a Peace Corps Volunteer(PCV)? How long are you volunteering for?
For those you don't know much about the Peace Corps, here's a brief overview because I've gotten a lot of questions about the logistics of the program. When an applicant applies to the Peace Corps, she does not decide what country or what region of the world she will end up volunteering. There are different sectors of the Peace Corps: education, youth & community development, health, business and IT, agriculture, environment, and HIV/AIDS. Volunteers are placed based on their educational background, work experience, language skills, and many other factors. I had some input into my assignment, and my background clearly led to a nomination for environmental education. Also, to be placed in a Spanish-speaking country, I had to take a college placement exam since I had previously tested out of the language requirement at U of M. All volunteers commit for a full 24-months, plus 2-3 months of training, so I'll be in Ecuador for a grand total of 27 months.

Will you be doing anything in Ecuador?
Yes, yes I will. My assignment will be to work on environmental education and awareness projects within the natural resource conservation project. The natural resource conservation (NRC) project focuses on the ability of Ecuadorians to manage their natural resources so they will be available for future generations. I'll provide much more information on my assignment as I learn more...

Is Ecuador in Mexico?
I really did get this question--by the nurse at the travel clinic where I got my yellow fever vaccination. Seriously. Maybe she was having a confusing day. Anyways, I know everyone else knows that Ecuador is on the northwest coast of South America, bordered by Peru and Colombia. Ecuador is about the size of Colorado and is comprised of three main regions including the Amazon, the Andes, and the coast. Also, the Galapagos Islands are part of Ecuador. It's the smallest of the 17 megadiverse countries in the world. (Hopefully I'll be able to nerd out on some plant and animal identification down there!) Peace Corps started sending volunteers to Ecuador in 1962 and over 5,700 Americans have served there.

What's that quote by John F. Kennedy about the Peace Corps? (No, just kidding. No one really asked me this, but it's a good quote.)
The Peace Corps was first introduced by John F. Kennedy in 1961. Click here for more information about the history.

"Life in the Peace Corps will not be easy. There will be no salary and allowances will be at a level sufficient only to maintain health and meet basic needs. Men and women will be expected to work and live alongside the nationals of the country in which they are stationed—doing the same work, eating the same food, talking the same language. But if the life will not be easy, it will be rich and satisfying."

No comments:

Post a Comment